Watch and Act – Barwon River flooding
October 23, 2022 / 3:15 am
There is a Watch and Act alert for areas along the Barwon River as it approaches moderate flood levels in Geelong.
At midday Sunday, the river was at a minor flood level of 3.05m, just 5cm away from being considered a moderate flood.
Minor flooding is occurring at Pollocksford but Bureau of Meteorology data shows the peak may have passed with the latest recorded river height at 12:00pm Sunday
The Barwon River at Geelong is still yet to peak with Vic Emergency warning the river may peak at 3.40m Sunday night or Monday morning
Keep up to date with the latest information on the VicEmergency website https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/
- Floodwater is dangerous – never enter floodwater.
- Farmers should move livestock and machinery to higher ground.
If you choose to leave:
- Remember to take your pets, mobile phone, spare clothes and medications.
- Travel to the home of family or friends who are in a safe location, away from flooding.
- Be aware of any road closures when you leave.
If you are travelling:
- Do not enter flooded areas. Turn around a find a safe alternative route.
- Be aware of road hazards including mud, debris and damaged roads or bridges.
- Floodwater is dangerous – never drive, walk or ride through floodwater.
- High river levels and potential flooding in areas close to rivers and streams.
- Some minor roads and bridges may be closed due to flooding.
- Parks, hiking tracks and campgrounds are closed due to flooding. To find out more go to www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/flood-affected-parks.
- VicEmergency Hotline – freecall 1800 226 226
- VicEmergency app
- Facebook or Twitter (#vicfloods)
- Tune in to your local radio station.
- To access this information in other languages, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (freecall) and ask them to call VicEmergency Hotline.
- If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment contact National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask them to call the VicEmergency Hotline.